….And so I quit my job. Say What!!!? Well….it’s a long story for another time. But as of September 2014, I am jobless after 12 years of being one of those geeky IT professionals. Well, to be fair, I still have a full-time job of being a Stay-At-Home-Mom, but then that hardly counts when you are in a group and someone asks ”So what do you do” eh? Anyway, that is not my pain area, my problem is that what does one do when one goes from perpetually running all the time to a sudden halt? What does one do with all the extra time?? I know…I know… All mothers are rolling their eyes thinking what extra time?! There are never enough hours in a day to get everything done! EVERRRR!!!
Well, let’s see……. my little one goes to pre-school for 3 hours in the morning and then naps for another 2 hours sometime in the afternoon, which time I used to spend working on my IT job till now (besides additional 4 to 7 hours which I used to steal from family time).
So, even when I stop stealing those 4-7 hours, I will still wind up with 5 extra hours in a day doing nothing. Of course, just like all other “voids” which cannot exist for long, this extra time could very easily fill up with crazy activities like mundane household chores, television, sleep, homework (Ahem! Yes, even Pre-Nursery kids get homework in India!) and so on and so forth if I am not careful enough. So here I am on a journey of self-discovery trying to figure out what motivates me as an individual and what should I do to keep being productive and geeky as ever?
To begin with, there is a truckload of dreams which were pushed to the backburner during the course of living. Let’s see if I can come up with a laundry list of some of the things I could do.
So here goes my bucket list:
- Learn how to create some basic animation (am obsessed with all Pixar movies and would love to know how to do at least one storyboard).
- Get my long overdue Sun Certification for Enterprise Architects
- Become an expert at making Tiramisu
- Document my thoughts on parenting, technology and all other things under the sun that excite me as an individual through this blog (Of course, I have already started doing this thanks to my hubby’s constant reminders!)
- Rekindle my love for music and the keyboard
- Learn how to garden (I am horrible at that! I can unwittingly kill even the healthiest of plants within a small span of time, but always dreamt of having a beautifully tended herb garden… too ambitious, eh?)
- Finish little one’s birthday scrapbook (for his 1st, 2nd and 3rd birthdays, Oh yes, the schedule slippage is 3 years here, I have all the raw material in place, but never found enough time to put everything into a scrapbook!)
Plato said “The Beginning is the most important part of the work.” and so it has begun for me. Through this website, I intend to capture the trials and tribulations of parenting, especially for working moms, the trade-offs, struggles, and achievements involved therein and also some random things which appeal to me as a person. I also intend to share my journey from current joblessness (Don’t know what else to call this!) back to a Job which balances my priorities right (hopefully) over the years as my little one grows up and becomes independent.
|Disclaimer: FertileBrains earns it's running costs through advertisements, affiliate links (rare) and sponsored third party content hosted here from time to time. Responsibility for the quality of such content rests with the sponsors/owners of that content and FertileBrains is not responsible for any errors or omissions in them. Again, any hyperlink from FertileBrains to another website does not automatically imply endorsement, support, or sponsorship of that website nor of the information and/or products provided. Such hyperlinks are included for additional reference/convenience only.|