Every parent has to deal with their share of “disasters” in the course of parenthood. From gross poop and pee accidents, puke fests, mud baths to the loss of a favorite toy or belonging, we have to handle a variety of “tragic” situations in our kids’ lives with the deftness of an emergency response unit.
Here are such 30 “disastrous” things that make me cringe as a parent on a day-to-day basis. Enjoy!
1. When I have to make sonny go to school after a break. And yes, in case you are wondering, weekends also constitute as school breaks! (“I, not go school. I don’t like school.”)
2. When the iPAD shows 2% battery at the start of a meal. Picky eater needs his distraction…don’t even get me started!
3. When the doorbell rings the moment I step into the shower and sonny is the only other person in the house!
4. When I say “Shut Up!” to hubby (of course jokingly! 😉 ) and sonny decides to pick it up and repeat it for every situation he deems fit from then on!
5. When sonny decides to take a nap at 4:00 pm in the evening and then stays up until 12:00 midnight.
6. When sonny rediscovers his long-lost love for Teletubbies at 4 years age! Ugh!
7. When after slogging with sonny on some practice activity sheets for an hour (because he did not get any homework that day and he needs the writing practice), I discover his assigned school homework hidden in a rarely accessed nook of his school bag!
8. When after painstakingly putting sonny to bed (who is almost snoring by then), I try to tip-toe out of the room, only to hear a tiny voice call out “Come back to bed, Ma, it’s sleep time! Where are you going?”
9. When someone uses the word “Maggi” or “ice cream” or “pancake” 2 seconds before dinner time!
10. When someone gifts sonny a remote-controlled car just when we’d started breathing easy again after the batteries had run out of his other RC cars….yes, you know who you are, Mr. “someone” 😉 !
11. When sonny accompanies hubby to the departmental store and picks up 10 pencil cells from the toy section instead of any toys saying “I want batteries. I need batteries.”
12. That fateful day when he discovered glitter and glue and sticky tape hidden in his closet.
13. That fateful day when you assumed that singing a couple of rhymes (and getting it over with) would be way easier than reading ten storybooks at bedtime. You could never have been more wrong!
14. When sonny insists on eating ice-cream or chocolate sauce “all by himself”…especially if it is after bath time!
15. When after eating a hearty meal (for a change), sonny drinks a glassful of water and starts coughing and looking queasy (Harbinger of puke fest, in case you haven’t guessed it yet!)
16. That fateful day when sonny discovered space science.
17. When sonny does not want to eat pancakes or Maggi during that one meal time when I don’t feel like cooking.
18. When the internet stops working during sonny’s screen time.
19. That fateful day when sonny discovered the function of a pencil sharpener and sharpened most of his pencils…to half their original length 😉
20. When sonny starts commuting by school bus and picks up some of his buddies habits, like making spit bubbles (Ewww!), pinching people (ouch!), calling someone “yeh ganduram” (loosely translated “This dirty fellow”) and saying “sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry” every time he changes his mind about something.
21. When sonny gets thirsty 2 minutes after leaving home on the one day I forget his water bottle.
22. That fateful day, when sonny discovered play-doh, orbeez and color mixing videos on YouTube. (Trying to implement the learning from those videos in real life? Extremely messy and not fun at all, at least for the mom who has to clean up, that is!)
23. When sonny insists on helping me cook or do laundry (“I help you”) 😉
24. When sonny decides to instruct me “Ma, want to go potty? I can see that you need to. Go, hurry, hurry!” the way I tell him…in front of guests at lunch time!
25. When the one day I can actually start seeing the bottom of my laundry bin (partially) is the day sonny decides to spill milk/juice on his bed and then proceed to write with sketch pen in our bed too!
26. Talking of sketch pens, when two days after the painter finishes painting his room, he decides to create wall art all over again!
27. When I think bitter coffee would be the one thing I could enjoy alone for a long time to come, but then sonny insists on taking a sip and exclaim “It’s so yummy!” (What the hell?!?)
28. When you realize that the gap between the statements “Why doesn’t he talk to me?” and “Oh god, does he ever stop taking!” is hardly a year, give or take a couple of months.
29. When you realize with a twinge in your heart that you will be sonny’s princess only for a few more years (“You are my princess, I am your prince!”)
30. When you get a couple of hours alone (finally) one day and you spend half that time watching sonny’s old photos and videos and the other half day-dreaming about his babyhood and his future! (Well, this doesn’t really make me cringe, but it sure is a “disaster” 😉 )
So, what does your laundry list of “disasters” as a parent look like? Don’t forget to share! 🙂
|Disclaimer: FertileBrains earns it's running costs through advertisements, affiliate links (rare) and sponsored third party content hosted here from time to time. Responsibility for the quality of such content rests with the sponsors/owners of that content and FertileBrains is not responsible for any errors or omissions in them. Again, any hyperlink from FertileBrains to another website does not automatically imply endorsement, support, or sponsorship of that website nor of the information and/or products provided. Such hyperlinks are included for additional reference/convenience only.|