As parents, we are subjected to plenty of waiting time, ranging from 2 minutes to half an hour or more. Be it waiting for the school bus to arrive, waiting at the pediatrician’s office, at the playground or at the home for some chore to be completed by our kids…the list could go on and on for miles.
The waiting times at home are easy to kill, thanks to the unending supply of housework that needs our attention continuously. But when outside the house, we are mostly at a loss of what to do with such tiny fragments of time.
If only we could club all such minuscule chunks into a solid block, we could run tonnes of errands and get a lot of items checked off our daily TO DO lists effortlessly. Unfortunately, the problem with such wait times is that, more often than not, we do not have any visibility regarding the duration or nature of those wait times to be able to plan anything productive beforehand.
For some parents, this is not a big deal as they easily breeze through such periods by striking up spirited conversations with fellow parents who happen to be in the same boat. Others read novels, newspapers etc or play games or listen to music on their cellphones. But for parents like me, these waiting times become especially challenging because we don’t usually enjoy getting involved in small talk with strangers and are forgetful enough to remember toting a book/newspaper or the earphones in addition to our house keys and cellphone.
So what should parents like me do then to avoid getting bored to death?
Well, here’s my list of 10 favorite things to do while waiting (needing the use of only a mobile phone or nothing at all):
1. Make weekly grocery list or other such task lists to be accomplished during the week/month etc. or even a bucket list for life
2. Read articles/newspapers/blog posts and comment on them
3. Communicate with friends on social media and network with fellow bloggers
4. Call up friends/family to say hi and see how they are doing
5. Passively listen to conversations happening nearby
6. Plan lunch/dinner/breakfast menu for that day or the next
7. Write articles/blog posts or reply to emails or brainstorm ideas to improve back-end software processes
8. Speed walk in circles to pass time and hopefully get some exercise 😉
9. Use brain power to think, meditate and de-clutter thoughts or just let imagination sprout wings
10. Relax and do nothing and just watch the world go by
There you have it, my favorite activities/pastimes when waiting for sonny. What are your favorite things to do while waiting? Did I miss any? Don’t forget to share!
|Disclaimer: FertileBrains earns it's running costs through advertisements, affiliate links (rare) and sponsored third party content hosted here from time to time. Responsibility for the quality of such content rests with the sponsors/owners of that content and FertileBrains is not responsible for any errors or omissions in them. Again, any hyperlink from FertileBrains to another website does not automatically imply endorsement, support, or sponsorship of that website nor of the information and/or products provided. Such hyperlinks are included for additional reference/convenience only.|